Fish In Milk

- jim Young 20200517

Fish In Milk
My mother used to make this Fish In Milk dish when I was young. It was all but forgotten until I thought about it one day and decided to make it from memory.

This is my version of it here. I later came across my mother's version which is pretty much the same with the exception that she added 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup. I'm guessing the reason that I didn't remember that being in the recipe is that my mother hid it from me, guessing correctly, that I wouldn't have eaten it had I known that was one of the ingredients.

Now I will prepare it sometimes with the Cream of Mushroom Soup and sometimes without it. Both versions are equally good.

Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
Total Time: 1 hour

Serves: 2

Stuff Required:
  • 2 fillets of fish (if frozen, do not thaw)
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cooking onion
  • milk
  • 3 tbsp margarine
  • salt
  • pepper
Do This:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
  2. Place fillets of fish in an oven proof casserole dish (13”x9”x2”)
  3. Layer slices of potatoes around and over the fish.
  4. Sliced the onion, cut each slice in half and separate the onion into pieces.
  5. Spread the pieces of onion over the potatoes.
  6. Add enough milk to cover the fish, potatoes and onions.
  7. Place 1 tbsp of margarine in the middle and one on each end.
  8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  9. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes and fish are cooked.

Optional Tips: Cover with chopped up pieces of leek leaves before baking. Before adding milk, add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.

Ready to go in the oven.


Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You