Published in The Great North Arrow, August 1, 2023: Names, Names, Names (Are You A Diminutive Of...)

Part I of a 3 Part Series on Names

- jim Young

“Who are you? Who, who, who, who?” - by The Who (of course) and more specifically, Pete Townshend. 


At some point in your life you likely wondered where your name came from.


For most of us, our last name was inherited through many generations, although for some it may have changed somewhat over time. For example, my great-great grandmother was a "Warnica" although her father was a "Warnick" and her grandfather was actually a "Werneck".


But the history of your given name is much more recent. Your parents can usually take the credit for what you are likely most commonly known today; or the blame as the case may be.


Many people, however, do not go by the precise given name that is recorded on their birth certificate. My birth certificate lists my given name as “James” while mostly I am known as “Jim” although I prefer “jim”. Over the years I have also answered to Jimmie (mostly by my mother and sisters), Jimbo, Jamie, and even Sam, the moniker bestowed upon me by my grandfather. 


Of course there are many other nick-names that have been attached to me such as “Richard” which was most often shortened, and a slew of others that are not fit to print.


It was in grade five that I was introduced to the strange world of given names when my teacher, Mrs. Shannon asked the class who knew what the name “Bill” was short for. I threw up my hand.


“Billy,” I answered when called upon, smiling in pride, certain I was going to win the teacher’s favour.


“No,” Mrs. Shannon replied. I was devastated. “Bill is short for William.”


This was the moment when I first realized teachers can sometimes be wrong so I politely corrected her. “No,” I boldly replied, “the short form for William is Willie and the short form for Willie is Will.” I wasn’t incorrect but my answer didn’t seem to satisfy Mrs. Shannon so we agreed to disagree and moved on.


“Does anyone know what the name Jack is short for?” I knew the answer was “Jackie”, but I was a bright guy and suspected this was another trick question so I didn’t raise my hand. I would let a fellow student play Mrs. Shannon’s stooge this time.


I snickered when one of my classmates answered, “Jack is short for John.” 


“Correct,” Mrs. Shannon praised my classmate. That didn’t even make sense! Jack and John both have 4 letters. How could one possibly be the short form for the other? Jack was clearly short for Jackie and John was clearly short for Johnny or Johnathan. 


Don’t get me wrong. Mrs. Shannon was a marvelous teacher that headed my class from grades 5 to 8 inclusive and that was the only time that she was ever mistaken that I am aware of. For most of my life and long before the internet was available as a research tool, I discovered that a memory of one of Mrs. Shannon’s lessons was often my number one most reliable research authority on a wide variety of subjects.


I also discovered that when it comes to names there really are NO rules. I can kinda, sorta get how the “ret” from “Margaret” becomes “Reta” but there is absolutely no logic in deriving “Daisy”, “Gretchen” or “Peggy” from “Margaret”.


And how the heck does “Henry” become “Hank”?


Shortening “Elizabeth” to “Eli”, “Liz” or “Beth” makes sense. Shortening it to “Bessie” not so much, unless the “Elizabeth” in question is a cow.


I can only imagine “Libby” as an accepted short form for “Elizabeth” had to evolve from a child’s inability to pronounce a complicated name like “Elizabeth”.


The use of a diminutive of your name or even a nickname often comes about from your peers, whether it be the children in your class or your coworkers. Short of correcting them every time they use the diminutive or nickname, there’s not much you can do about it. Many times, however, your parents are the culprits. They will register their child’s name as “James” and then immediately begin calling him “Jim” from the get go. Of my five sisters, only Leah was known by her registered given name for her entire life. Lori was a close second, but eventually earned the nickname “Lollipop”.


I vowed that I would not do this to my children, Michael and Angela. When asked if I was going to call them “Mike” and “Angie”, I always answered “No. If I had wanted to call them ‘Mike' and ‘Angie’, THAT’S what I would have registered on their birth certificates.”  


As a codicil, I always added, “However, most people are never happy with their given names, so if Michael and Angela choose at some point in their lives to change their names to something else, I will not object.” And as I had predicted, they eventually became known as “Mike” and “Ange” upon their choosing in later years.


Next time I will talk about second names. Or is it really your first name in disguise?


- 30 -

Comments

Stuff others read

Published in The Great North Arrow, October 1, 2023: Names, Names, Names (Unusual Spellings and Unusual Names)