Published In The Great North Arrow, April 2022: Masks, Hugs & Handshakes

- jim Young

“Who was that masked man?” - from the Lone Ranger

As I sit here, the mask mandates in Ontario will end in just two days. To celebrate, I was considering driving to North Bay to visit as many stores as I can, without my mask, just because I can. Of course the price of gas doesn’t really make that a practical option.


After two years of this restriction, I am certainly welcoming my new freedom. Admittedly, wearing a mask was not the worst part of the pandemic by any means. It was a mild inconvenience at best, but I’m still happy it’s done and over.


I didn’t like my glasses fogging up when I wore a mask, I didn’t like having to walk back to my car whenever I forgot my mask and generally speaking, I just didn’t like wearing my mask, period. When I put it in writing like that, it all seems very petty. On the other hand, I think wearing the mask was a very visual and constant reminder of the times we have been living through that subconsciously played on our minds 24/7 and I am anxious to move on and put it behind me. 


I appreciate that others may be a little more apprehensive about removing their masks in public and will exercise their option and right to continue to wear theirs. That’s fine with me. I fully respect their choice.


I do find it ironic however, that for the past two years, the government and health officials have continuously preached that the wearing of masks was for the protection of the public and not those wearing them. Now, they are suggesting people continue to wear masks voluntarily in high risk situations for their own protection.


Personally, I am among those that believe a small amount of exposure to germs and viruses is a healthy thing that will help to strengthen my immune system. I have no desire to live in a completely sanitized and sterile environment.


As people begin to feel safer and become more comfortable with removing their masks I also look forward to the return of hugs and handshakes.


Man is a social creature by nature. It’s true that if a baby is deprived of physical affection for a length of time, it will die. As the pandemic has created new lifestyles, it’s likely hugs and handshakes will never return to its original status. 


Many will choose to continue to work from home, hold meetings through Zoom and interact through Facetime whenever possible, rather than meet in person. Others that do return to a life that includes personal interaction with the public will shun any kind of close personal contact. Again, I fully respect their choices. I, on the other hand, prefer the hug of a family member or close friend and a handshake to greet new people. I like to seal a deal with a handshake when negotiating a business transaction. I don’t anticipate hugs and handshakes will go the way of the dinosaur but sadly they may become less frequent than I enjoyed in the past.


At least I will have a visual aid to help me determine who may or may not be susceptible to a hug or handshake, by whether or not the person is continuing to wear a mask.


- 30 -  

 

Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You