Omelettes On-The-Go

(Even when you’re not going anywhere.)

When I’m on the road early in the morning, I love stopping at McDonald’s for an Egg McMuffin or Breakfast Burrito, Burger King for a Croissan'wich or Tim Horton's for a Bagel BLT with egg.


However, as I am no longer in the workforce, I am seldom on the road early in the mornings anymore.


I am still up early every morning however, and sometimes while I'm writing at my computer before the sun comes up, I get a craving for one of these treats. I don't like to brag, but I do make a pretty mean Egg McMuffin and Bagel BLT. However there is nothing more frustrating for a writer than having his train of thought interrupted by either hunger pangs or taking the time necessary to whip one of these up.


I've tried the frozen store-bought versions of the Egg McMuffins and Breakfast Burritos that only require a few seconds to warm in the microwave and I'm sure they would be very good if they had any taste to them at all.


I think I've finally found the answer with these "Omelettes On-The-Go". There's an almost unlimited variety of ways you can make these, so they never get boring. And although this recipe makes 6, there's no more work involved to make 12 or 18 at a time. They can be frozen and will only require a minute or two to heat in the microwave whenever the urge strikes.


Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Wait Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: ½ hour


Stuff You’ll Need

  • 6 eggs, beaten

  • ⅓ cup ham, diced

  • 2 or 3 tbsp onion, chopped

  • ¼ tomato, diced

  • ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded

  • Garlic salt to taste

  • Salt and pepper to taste


Do This

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

  2. In a medium bowl mix all of the above ingredients well.

  3. Spray a muffin pan with vegetable oil. (If using a muffin pan with more than 6 cups, use every other cup for even baking.)

  4. Pour the mixture into the sprayed cups.

  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.

  6. Allow the omelettes to cool before serving.


Tip - Make it any way you like: 

Instead of ham, you can substitute bacon or weiners cut into small pieces, diced Spam or even small pieces of precooked ground beef or chicken.

Substitute cheddar cheese with the cheese of your preference.

In place of, or in addition to garlic salt, try other spices such as rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika, dried red hot peppers etc .

In addition to the onions and tomatoes add your favourite other vegetables such as chopped up sweet pepper, jalapenos or other hot peppers.

 

Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You

My Kijiji Profile