Breakfast Sausage Casserole
- jim Young
This is a great recipe to make ahead when you're having overnight guests. Prepare it in the morning before they arrive, then let it sit overnight in the fridge. The next morning just pop this in the oven and an hour later breakfast is made. No fuss, no muss. Note: If you don't have enough room in your fridge and the evenings are cool enough, you can also store it overnight in the trunk of your car.
Prep Time: 20 min.
|Ready to pop in the oven!|
Set Time: 2 hours to overnight
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 3 hours 20 min - 15 hours 20 min.
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large green onions, chopped
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- ½ tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 10 slices of bread torn into small pieces
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
- Use a large frying pan to cook the sausage meat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When the sausage begins to brown, add bell pepper and onions and cook until the sausage, peppers and onion are cooked.
- While this is cooking mix the eggs, milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup of the cheese, basil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
- Grease a 10½” x 14¾“ casserole dish and cover the bottom of it with the bread pieces.
- Add the sausage meat mix and cover with the eggs and milk mix.
- Optional: Place tomato slices on top and lightly salt and pepper them.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with Saran wrap and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. (Best if you can let it sit overnight.)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Remove Saran wrap and bake for about an hour until the cheese is bubbly.