Snow Day

- jim Young 190130

“Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.” by Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn

So, who says we're not entitled to a snow day anymore just because we're retired?

As usual, it was dark when I got up this morning to put the first log of the day on the fire. But as I turned the outside lights on, I noticed there was snow trapped on the screens of the sliding glass door and windows of our sunroom.

I knew that I hadn’t had the snowblower aimed at the windows while I blew the snow off our deck yesterday. And I was even more intrigued to find there was also snow blown over the screen of the front door. 

Who ever heard of the wind blowing from both the west AND the east at the same time?

But as the daylight gradually began to show me the outside world I quickly realized that we must’ve had quite a storm blowing last night.

Quick action was required and although it is not uncommon for me not to even get dressed before noon on a cold and bleak winter’s day such as this, by 10:00 am I had fired up the snowblower and cleared the trails to the wood pile and the bird and deer feeders.

The animals must always be fed first so I had to ensure there was an ample supply for all.

Following that, there was only one thing left to do. Head to the beer store and declare the rest of the day a snow day as we might have done in the proverbial “good old days” when we were in the work force.

So once the SUV was safely back inside our garage, and the fridges stocked I brewed a fresh pot of coffee so we could enjoy a hot cup of “Spanish Coffee” to tide us over until noon when it was appropriate to crack a beer.

The rest of today’s chores would just have to wait. There’s always tomorrow - until there isn’t and then it really doesn’t matter anymore anyway.


- 30 -  






Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You