Parmesan & Onion Potato Omelette

My cousin Steve won’t be able to make this recipe because it’s made with leftover mashed potatoes. Leftover mashed potatoes are as foreign in his house as leftover wine is in my sister Lori’s house.


I too love mashed potatoes, so when cooking them, I always make more than I know I can fit into my over-size belly at one sitting just so I will have leftover mashed potatoes for recipes like my Mashed Potato Salad.

Ironically however, even though I did happen to have leftover mashed potatoes on the day I came up with this recipe, I was really just trying to use some leftover breading that I had from making some chicken wings that day.


I make my chicken wing breading in large quantities ahead of time so I can quickly make some chicken wings on a moment’s notice. 


Inevitably I will always measure out a little more of my made-up breading than I require and, after dusting my raw wings into the breading, I feel it is probably unsafe to save the leftover breading mix for future use.


Coming from a generation that was taught that consuming ALL your food would somehow benefit starving children overseas, as my wings were baking I decided to see if I could find another use for this leftover breading.


Grabbing some leftover mashed potatoes I had on hand… this is what I came up with.


Stuff You’ll Need

  • Cooking oil or bacon grease

  • 1 small onion, cut up into thin strips

  • 1.5 cups leftover mashed potatoes

  • Breading mix - see below

  • 1 egg, beaten

  • Salt & Pepper

  • Parmesan Cheese Petals


Do This

  1. Heat some cooking oil or bacon grease in a medium size frying pan.

  2. Add the onions and let cook until transparent.

  3. Meanwhile mix the mashed potatoes, breading mix, egg, salt and pepper together.

  4. Remove the onions and set aside, leaving the cooking oil or bacon grease in the pan.

  5. Add mashed potato mix and flatten to cover the entire surface of the frying pan about ½” thick.

  6. After cooking for a couple of minutes spread the onions and a liberal amount of Parmesan cheese petals over the surface of the potatoes.

  7. When the bottom of the potatoes have started to brown and the potatoes are sticking together, fold in half like an omelette and flip.

  8. Continue to cook, flipping as necessary until both sides are browned and cheese has melted inside.


TIP: The breading mix can be as simple as flour and/or breadcrumbs and a few of your favourite spices. This is the recipe for the breading I used to make my Best Baked Buffalo Wings.


BREADING

This breading mix can be used for this recipe, chicken wings or any other recipe that requires breading.


Stuff Required

  • 4 cups flour

  • 2 ⅔ cups bread crumbs

  • 4 tsp salt

  • 2 tsp paprika

  • 1 tsp black pepper

  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper


Do This

  1. Mix together in a small bowl then use as needed.

 

Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You

My Kijiji Profile