Anzac Biscuits

My daughter Ange and her family came to visit from Alberta last April. My son-in-law, Adrian is originally from Australia so I wanted to give him a taste of home while he was here. 

First, I set out for some Foster’s Beer and Yellowtail Wine. 


Since it was too cold for “shrimp on the barbie” I decided to cook Alice Springs Chicken which is served at Outback Steakhouses. I realize this may not be a traditional Australian dish, but it was the thought. (You can click on the link to get the recipe or you can find it in the January 2023 edition of the Great North Arrow.)


For a special treat, I also found a recipe for “Anzac Biscuits” which is of Australian origin.


These biscuits were named for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) which was established in World War I. These treats were often sent by families to soldiers abroad because the ingredients don’t spoil quickly.


I felt this would be particularly appropriate for Adrian’s April visit since Anzac Day, the Australian and New Zealand Remembrance Day, falls on April 25th.


I had no idea what these biscuits would turn out like or even what they were supposed to turn out like and was generally disappointed with the results at first. They tasted just fine but they didn’t turn out looking anything like a biscuit.


Upon their arrival, I explained to Ange & Adrian what my intention was, but apologized that what was supposed to be Anzac “Biscuits” turned out to be more like Anzac “Cookies”.


Ange and Adrian assured me that what Australians refer to as “biscuits” are actually what we call “cookies” here in Canada.


A quick adjustment of the menu had me change the Anzac Biscuits from a side dish to the Alice Springs Chicken and move it instead to the Dessert Section.


Both the Australian and New Zealand governments prohibit the use of the “ANZAC” name without permission but have made an exception for “ANZAC Biscuits” provided the recipe remains basically the same and they are always referred to as “ANZAC Biscuits and never “ANZAC Cookies”.


Yield:  2 dozen


Stuff You’ll Need:

  • 1 cup cooking oats

  • 1 cup flour

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • ¾ cup flaked coconut

  • 1 tbsp golden syrup

  • ½ cup butter

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 2 tbsp boiling water


Do This:

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

  2. Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.

  3. In a small pot over low heat, melt syrup and butter and mix.

  4. Mix baking and water together, then mix in with the syrup & butter.

  5. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.

  6. Drop in small balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

  7. Bake for 20 minutes.

Comments

Stuff others read

Obituary: 173 Big Bay Point Road

Your Silence Will Not Protect You

My Kijiji Profile